HTMLtools - A Web Page Conversion Tool Set
HTMLtools is a general purpose tab-delimited file to HTML Web page conversion
Java program that contains several tools for preparing Web pages.
The program automates batch conversion of tab-delimited spreadsheet text
table files to HTML Web-page files, file and table editing, keyword
mapping, templates, URL mapping, and more.
For example, it can convert a directory of tab-delimited files such as might
be produced by Excel, various data analysis or database programs into a
directory of HTML <TABLE> formated files. There are various commands
available to make the table easier to read, including: Web page HTML preface and
epilogue Web pages tailored to each data input file, shrinking large cells or
moving content to additional pages, mapping cells to URL links associated with
the column headers, alternating row colors, bolding headers, reconfiguring the
table to keep or drop specified columns, reorder columns, sort rows by a
particular column, remove trailing empty rows and columns, keyword mapping
(date, filename, and user specified keywords), extract a sub-table by current
table column keyword from a resource table file to insert into the prolog or
epilogue section in a user specified format, sort rows by column data, etc.
The program has a command line interface and can be launched with a simple
command line invocation of a list of switches or can be run from a Windows BAT
file or MacOS/Unix shell script. Multiple command switches can be specified
in a script file that may be run as if they were typed on the command line.
In addition, a list of script files may be specified in a batch file that then
sequentially performs the converions - one for each script file mentioned in
the list. The Reference Manual
describes these options in detail as well as showing samples of input data
and the generated output Web pages.
HTMLtools was originally called CvtTabDelim2HTML and was used to create Web
pages for the Jak-Stat Prospector
Web site part of the Trans-NIH Jak-Stat Initiative at
(currently a password-protected site for NIH-only access because some of the
samples data has not released yet in the NLM/NCBI
However, some of the data is publicly available on GEO and we
use that data in the examples for HTMLtools download distribution.
Conversions consist of a set of command line switches that map appear in a
script input file on separate lines. A batch processing command -batchProcess
in turn can have it execute a script containing any number of these separate
conversion scripts. A sampling of the some of the types of commands includes:
Although some of the tool subsets are fairly specialized (JTVconvert, GenBatchScripts,
SearchGui, TestsIntersections), the core of the tool could be used with any tab-delimited
data for generating Web pages.
- Table editing
- Drop or keep specified columns.
- Reorder specific columns.
- Join data from several tables.
- Sort columns by specified column data.
- Reorder remaining columns by column names.
- Synthesize a Tests-Intersection table from a set of tests results
- Fast table file editing (drop, keep reorder, etc.) for very large files.
- Save edited tables as tab-delimited data files instead of HTML (or do
- Handles multi-line headers and multi-table files.
- HTML Web page generation
- Insert prolog and epilogue information in the HTML.
- Map data in specified columns to URL-linked entries.
- Generate hyperlinks for multi-line header tables.
- Map keyword names to using a (converter generated) mapping table resource
- Shrink table cell text size by the maximum number of characters/cell
by either specifying a smaller <FONT> size or exporting the full
text to a small linked HTML file.
- Extract a key-driven data row from an another file table and convert it
to a DL, OL, UL or TABLE set of HTML syntax when doing keyword mapping
in Web page generation.
- Batch processing
- Specify command-line switches in a parameter script file that can be
launched with a single command.
- Process a file of a list of conversion script files.
- Generate batch scripts for further processing using a database table to
read a tree of input data, batch templates, mapping data, HTML templates
etc. for subsequent running as a -batchProcess batch job to generate an
output HTML tree suitable for copying to a Web server.
- Do specialized search with Graphical User Interface (SearchGui) for generated index tables
- Perform specialized open ended searches of specialized Gene/probe ID for
sets of processed normalized Affymetrix array data to generate
HTML tables including a color heatmap option.
- Option to display fold-change values for subsets of the samples with
optional fold-change thresholding to limit the amount of data data shown in the report..
- See the Reference Manual
for other conversion commands and command modifiers. For more information
on the SearchGUI program, see the
SearchGUI Manual for details.
HTMLtools were written for the collaboration with GSP consortium members.
Program Version: 12-13-2009 V.1.41 (Beta)
Revised: December 13, 2009
This code is available under the "Common Public License Version 1.0"